Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2009

T-Minus 4 Weeks

I'm anxious by nature. When I was little, I would psych myself out by imagining the horrible things that could happen to my parents: they were abducted by aliens, copied, and the aliens were in zip-up suits waiting to eat me; they didn't really go out to the store, they left; they dropped dead of heart attacks and I'd live with my grandparents for the rest of my life.
As it turns out, anxiety can't be cured by time, but with a little blue pill. If not for that little miracle, I think I'd be freaking out right now. Of course, I'm not exactly chill in a hey-man-relax-no-worries kind of way either. I'm just a bit on edge. Will one bottle of shampoo and conditioner be enough to last two months? Will I have enough socks--or worse, enough underwear? Will I forget something key, like tampons? (They don't sell those there. What they use instead is beyond me, but I'd still like to remain in the dark about that one.) Will I be able to carry enough reading material to last me throughout the two 12 hour travel days cushioning my stay?
Mommy found the hiking boots I liked and they came in the other day. (They aren't high above the ankles like Melampy suggested. Tough. They don't weigh ten lbs. like the ones that did. )
My socks, 3 pairs of light-weight Merino wool blend, and 3 pairs of liner socks to keep my tooties from being blistered were nearly as much as the boots themselves. Preposterous! Who prices these things? Did a lamb sacrifice itself on a loom to give me each pair of sweat-wicking socks? Really? Several days later, I found, much to my chagrin, the same brands in Berea's Whitey's Army Surplus Store for quite a bit less. Ahh!
I'm setting up a Skype account so I don't have to bother with an international calling plan from Verizon. Eschmidt31190. I want to hear English, people! Create an account so I can hear my mother tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment