Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

October 25: Boracha

October 25, 2009

Weather: Incredibly sunny and clear, growing warmer by the day


On Friday, we all decided to celebrate the end of the week of Spanish and party. Walking from my house to meet at Wunderbar in my heels and nice jeans, I counted eight whistles and/or badly pronounced pick-up lines in English, one from a cop. Nothing makes me so happy as to hear the supposed protector of my ass whistling at it. This is why every single girl wears the equivalent of a burlap sack to school. It is definitely one of my biggest pet peeves about this city.

We had dinner at Aroma and it had everything we wanted it to be: silence, a friendly owner, and garlic in everything. We split a bottle of white wine with our chicken marsalas, then were asked by the owner if we'd like to have a shot on the house. He explained that the restaurant had just opened that week and thanked us for coming in. We talked with him a while until he brought out two shots of amaretto, then another set of free shots, this time of flaming anise. Both were delicious.

We then went to a club called Flor... or something. And began to dance, even though we crazy gringos were the only ones on the floor at 10:30 at night. I thought it was hilarious that the deejay was Shannon's boy toy and she was up dancing with him, despite his broken arm, that Ashley and Antonia were such good dancers, and that half the crowd were still wearing their Cuenca jerseys from the game earlier that night. Or maybe it was because I'd somehow gotten my hands on two Cuba Libres (my drinks of choice) and was having a hard time dancing without showing off ridiculous dance moves which threw me off balance and forced my friends to do impressive acrobatics to keep me from plummeting over backwards. I think it was then when I decided it was a bad idea to have those two free shots.

I remember everything, which is highly unfortunate, because the rest of the night was spent outside on the terrace in Antonia's lap trying to keep the world from spinning. I'd never had too much like that. I just overestimated what my body could handle.

Who said this wouldn't be an educational experience? I learned that I'm never drinking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment