Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oct. 7: The Gringa learns to dance


Thank you all for your emails and prayers! I'm sorry I am unable to reply to everyone individually but getting adjusted takes up the entire day and I only have internet at the school. I have been going to bed every night at 9:30 or 10. Walking to and from school wears me out because of the altitude and the brain power it takes to get through the day is exhausting.

Yesterday, we had dance lessons at the Fundacion at 4. A bunch of us got together at 2:30 to go out together to, uh, "loosen up." I learned that a Cuba Libre is rum, coke, and lime, is very delicious, is pretty strong, and, as Brad Paisley says, "helps white people dance." I was a dancing queen!

Blah, blah, blah. I shouldn't be drinking. But I was with like 13 people--totally safe. And it's totally legal. And we were only two blocks away from the school.

The bar on Las Escalinas (Just south of Calle Larga at the end of Hermano Miguel) is called Wunderbar. Owned by a German couple, it's trendy, relaxing, and incredibly expensive by Cuencano standards. By expensive, I mean beer is $3 instead of .50 cents. Still vastly cheap by American standards. We were the only ones in the bar and we took over completely. Adam bought the first round of drinks for all of us and I sent one back over to him by the end of our time there. I sat next to Nate at the bar staring at the lines of bottles stretching out like the upcoming days. Sometimes I don't know how I'll get through this trip. Other times, I am so in love with the experience I think I'll never want to leave. Maybe another few cuba libres will help me decide.

Needless to say, we had a LOT of fun. All of us were tripping over our left feet, laughing, and bonding, finally able to relax and not think quite so hard as we had been.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, girlie! Tell us what the elevation is where you are (I thought someone said around 9,000 feet) & are you in a different time zone? My globe shows Ecuador is just a tad west of 75 degrees W. I am guessing that is our zone in Ohio also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Erika: It was so nice to read that you had received our messages - I think I finally figured out the blog stuff...ha I got Janette to your blog yesterday and she said the same thing - you are a great writer! (I heard her laughing as she read about your adventures...escapades...thus far.) Bring back some recipes, preferably in English... Must end, but know I'm following along.
    Love.Thea

    ReplyDelete